Edo Residents Applaud Initiatives By Federal & State Governments To Douse Tension Over Uromi Tragedy

By Barth Ikiebe

 

Residents across Edo State and beyond have commended the federal and State governments for their swift and decisive response aimed at restoring public confidence and reinforcing security after the tragic incident in Uromi, Esan North East local Government.

The incident, which claimed the lives of several travelers allegedly at the hands of an unregistered vigilante group, drew widespread concern.

However, the State Government’s prompt reaction — including the immediate suspension of all illegal vigilante operations in Edo State and the suspension of the Commander of the Edo State Security Corps, CP Friday Ibadin (Rtd), has been largely welcomed by the public.

Speaking with journalists in Benin City, Dr. Florence Omoruyi, a lecturer at the University of Benin, described the Governor’s decision as “a clear reflection of leadership that listens and acts.”

“This situation was tragic, but the response has been timely and necessary. The suspension of illegal vigilante groups is an important first step toward ensuring that community-based security does not become a license for lawlessness,” she said.

Similarly, in Auchi, Mr. Shuaibu Idris, a businessman and community Leader, praised the Governor for what he termed “responsible governance in difficult times.”

“We often see leaders look the other way when things go wrong. But Governor Okpebholo is showing a different kind of leadership — one that does not tolerate impunity,” Idris stated.

In Uromi, where the tragic incident occurred, residents expressed a mixture of grief and cautious optimism, stating that the government’s proactive measures have given them renewed hope that justice will be served.

Mrs. Patience Itoto, a local trader at the Uromi main market, said,

“We are heartbroken, but we thank the Governor for not wasting time in taking action.

We also appreciate the state’s effort in reaching out to the families of the victims.”

The State Government has confirmed that investigations are ongoing, with 14 suspects already arrested and more being sought in collaboration with federal security agencies.

A special team deployed by the Inspector General of Police is currently leading the manhunt for remaining suspects.

In a statement released earlier this week, the Government reaffirmed its commitment to upholding the constitutional rights of all Nigerians, including freedom of movement and the right to conduct lawful business in any part of the country. The State also emphasized its ongoing engagement with community leaders, the families of victims, and the Government of Kano State from where many of the victims reportedly hailed.

Mr. Agharese Obazee, a civil society advocate described the administration’s response as “matured, people-oriented, and anchored on the rule of law.”

“At a time when tensions could easily escalate, the Governor’s call for calm and his decisive suspension of compromised structures show a desire to prevent future occurrences while not politicizing the tragedy,” Obazee noted.

As Edo State continues to mourn the victims of the unfortunate event, many observers believe the Governor’s posture so far demonstrates a strong desire to protect all residents and visitors to the state, regardless of ethnic or regional background.

Also in a reaction to the Uromi tragedy, Abdullahi O Haruna Haruspice, a public affairs analyst wrote:

The charred remains of the slain Kano hunters have been buried. Perhaps the peace they couldn’t find on earth will come to their souls now, for they did not die in their natural state but in a hurried and brutal fate. Dying while fasting may offer some consolation to the 16 murdered Kano-bound travelers at Uromi.

With unmitigated grief and collective calls for justice, now is the time to critically examine the issues at hand. The North continues to lose its most productive citizens at an alarming rate. Every day, young men pack themselves tightly into trailers bound for the South—a choice that may not be wrong, given their constitutional right to reside anywhere in Nigeria.
But why are they leaving their land in such large numbers? What are they bringing to these States?

A cursory glance at their migration reveals a troubling pattern—men traveling south to take on menial jobs, often with no tangible or specialized skills to offer.

What compels an able-bodied man to abandon his home in the North for Port Harcourt, where he has no address, no shelter, and is left to roam the streets, sleeping in mosques, alleyways, or abandoned buildings?

The depths of human debasement become evident when you walk the streets and see how Northern men are forced to live in undignified conditions.
Why forsake the dignity of your home, only to struggle for survival in unfamiliar places?

In Abuja, almost every okada rider is a Hausa man—a dignified trade, no doubt. But let me shock you: many of these men live on the streets despite the money they earn. What is the point of working so hard if it cannot afford you a decent life? Why reduce yourself to such a miserable existence—sleeping and waking up in the streets like a drifter?

We spend countless hours delivering sermons in mosques, but perhaps it is time to redirect that energy toward educating our people about the value of life and dignity. Tell them that there is honor in staying and building a life in the North. Tell them they have no business flocking to Lagos just to ride okada, shine shoes, or scavenge when they could be building a sustainable future in their own land—where they are respected.

Our leaders must empower the youth, not just with handouts but with tools and education. Give them hoes and keyboards, not just empty promises. Show them that opportunities exist around them, within the North—where they have roofs over their heads—rather than in Onitsha, where they are reduced to scavengers.

Tell them that life in Nigeria is no longer as sacred as it once was. Mutual distrust has reached its peak; no one trusts anyone anymore. Not in the North, where bandits abduct fellow human beings and subject them to unspeakable agony. Not in the West, where lives are sacrificed in desperate bids for wealth. Not in the East, where unknown gunmen mercilessly snuff out innocent lives. They must think twice before leaving their safe haven for uncertain realities.

Even Islam teaches restraint—advising believers to avoid places of conflict and disease outbreaks.

The enlightened Northerners must take it upon themselves to educate itinerant travelers, urging them to reconsider these hurried journeys south—especially when they have no clear purpose or sustainable livelihood awaiting them. Like the slain hunters, there was no real reason to leave behind all the vast land in the North just to travel south in search of animals—especially in these dangerous times.

Life is too precious to be wasted—needlessly”, Abdullahi concluded.

There is a strong need therefore for the Governors  to put mechanisms in place to prevent future occurrence, foster peaceful coexistence and ensure rule of law.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *