9.2 C
London
Monday, April 22, 2024
HomeNewsWike Orders Task Force To Destroy 500 Impounded Commercial Motorcycles

Wike Orders Task Force To Destroy 500 Impounded Commercial Motorcycles

Date:

Related stories

Nigeria To Attract Foreign Savings With New Diaspora Bond, Says Edun

By Goodluck B Ikiebe As the World Bank-IMF Spring Meetings...

Edo 2024 : Major Political Parties Battle For Reconciliation As Campaign Set To Begin

By Our Correspondent The battle over who succeeds Governor Godwin...

Nigeria’s Anti Corruption Body Arraigns Cubana Chief Priest On Three Counts Charge For Naira Abuse

By Goodluck B Ikiebe The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission...

Nigeria Police Gives Award To Personnel For Outstanding Performance

By Goodluck B Ikiebe. The Apolitical CP Of Rivers State...

Blackout : Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses Again Plunging The Nation Into Darkness

By Goodluck B Ikiebe Nigeria’s national electricity grid collapsed early...
spot_imgspot_img

No fewer than 500 commercial motorcycles were on Thursday impounded and crushed by the Joint Task Force of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) on the orders of the Minister of Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom WIke.

Wike had last week ordered that the commercial motorcyclists and Keke NAPEP operators be taken off Abuja roads.

The operation was carried out under tight security while owners of the motorcycles watched helplessly as the bulldozer crushed them beyond recognition.

The seizure occurred during a search of strategic locations used by okada operators as operational routes such as Kpaduma II, Asokoro Extension, Galadimawa near Primary School, Gudu market, Kabusa junction, and Apo mechanic were all searched.

Before crushing the seized motorcycles in Area 1, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Commissioner of Police, Garba Haruna, said that the action was proof that the okada ban was still in effect.

FILEFILEFILE

According to him, “FCT residents are aware that motorcycles had been banned from entering the Federal Capital City since 2006, crushing of the okada is to show a signal that the city centre is not an area for them to operate.

“There are designated areas for them to operate, that is the suburbs of FCT, so the recalcitrant type will learn from this exercise. We don’t want to see any motorcycle in the city centre.”

Meanwhile, the Director FCT Directorate of Road Traffic Services (DRTS), Dr. Abdulateef Bello said the Minister of FCT, Nyesom Wike, had given the directorate a marching order to ensure commercial motorcyclists and Keke NAPEP operators are taken off Abuja roads.

He hinted that despite the fact that the DRTS had been working hard to sustain the ban on okada riders within the Abuja metropolis since it was put in place in 2006, the operators kept returning to the roads.

He said the administration had declared zero tolerance to the illegal activities and would ensure the effort was sustained under the new administration.

Global News Network Correspondent
Global News Network Correspondenthttps://globalnewsnetwork.com.ng
GNN is a News blog based in Nigeria to educate, inform and Analyse issues of interest like Politics, Health, Solid Minerals, Energy and Power, Transportation, Defence and Security, Sports and Entertainment to our teeming audience. Stories are generated by seasoned veteran Editors and Journalists. We Say It As It Is.

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here